We sometimes swim butterfly relays in order to get some quality butterfly swimming done without the need to one-arm drill or lose our rhythm in order to not smack arms in narrow lanes. Recently, we did a little change-up on the relays that worked well.
- 3-4 swimmers per lane are on a relay team.
- We placed markers (in our case, orange hockey pucks) on the bottom of the pool 15m and 20m from the start end.
- Each swimmer swims 3 times. The first time, the swimmer sprints fly to 15m mark, does an open turn on an imaginary wall at that point, and swims back. Next swimmer does the same.
- The second time a swimmer goes, he goes to 20m and back. The 3rd time to 25m and back.
- After the relay concludes, swim a bit easy, and do it again! Change up the distances, the order, the number of total swims, whatever you want!